With the ushering in of the age of technology in general and particularly smartphones, many aspects of society have changed. This includes romance as well. Online adult dating and adult dating sites are picking up steam. In fact, you’ll get to see a lot of adult friends on the net if you have the inclination. Nowadays about 14-15% of US based adults have reported using online dating sites and apps on their computers and smartphones.
Here are five interesting facts about online dating that you probably didn’t know:
- No stigma: Previously there was a tendency to call a person who dated online as a freak or deviant. Today it’s not the same case anymore. A good majority of American adults say that it is a very convenient way of dating. At least until they get to know the person properly. When first studied in 2005, only a handful of adults in America had exposure to online dating or had met someone interesting on the web. Now, these days, more than half the public at least knows someone who uses online dating as a romantic getaway. The attitude towards online dating has undergone a radical shift and a lot of people have met their spouses or partners on the internet. Still, many people remain puzzled, about 24% of them, who cannot figure out why someone would go to that length. They think its “desperate” behaviour.
- Online adult dating has gained a faithful fan following with people under the age of 25. Even persons as old as 50 or 60 years are not immune to its attractions and have used it at one point of time or the other. The percentage of people within 18-24 who use online dating has roughly tripled from 10% in 2013 to about 30% today. Even 10% of adults in the 50-60 year group have reported using an online dating app versus 5% in 2013. Now that’s a huge jump in my books. A factor could be the swathes of online dating apps that beg for attention on smartphones.
- A third of the people do not follow up with a physical date: Many people bemoan the fact that they have not found an ideal partner online. Well, to cheer them up let me tell you that of the people who actually carry out online dating, a good amount, around 33% do not follow it up with a date. Another factor to be noted is that the number of people who have actually gone out on a date after meeting online has risen from 43% in 2013 to 66% now.
- Help with profile: A lot of people take help from friends who know them intimately, in order to post their best possible profile online. Recent surveys show that 23% of online daters enlisted help from friends. 30% of women and 16% of men, to be more specific.
- Online partners, for life?: Even with the advent of these digital tools, people in the USA still prefer the traditional way of seeking a partner for life. It is embedded in their psyche. Even though 10% of Americans use online dating, when it comes to tying the knot, people want to get in touch physically during the courtship period. Even those who are only five years into the relationship, a whopping 88% of them report having met their significant other offline.
So if you are a stickler for convention, there’s no fear of a global epidemic of online dating. On the other hand if you want to go digital, a whole new avenue of options are laid out in front of you.